In the spirit of the book launching next week we’d love to hear the stories of your little gardeners’ gardens and how they got started. Whether it’s a small potted plant or a garden growing wild, make and place this garden stake in the dirt and share your story with us using the hashtag #wearethegardeners! Over the next few weeks, we’ll be sharing some of these stories on our social media accounts, so keep an eye out for your photo! We’ll also be sending a few gardeners who share photos a fun gift.
MAKE YOUR GARDEN STAKE
To help us spread the excitement, start by creating your garden stake using the instructions below. Here’s what you’ll need:
+ This sheet printed: “I am a gardener”Opens in new tab pendants (see below for more instructions on printing)
+ Hot glue gun
+ If you want to make a larger stake:
+ Garden stake from the lumber section of a home improvement store
+ If you want to make a smaller stake:
+ Small wood dowel (we used a 12 inch), which you can find at a local craft store
Consider printing these pendants on 8.5x11 cardstock paper, rather than regular printer paper, to help them hold up to wind better. Lightly mark the fold line with a pencil before cutting—this is where your pendant will wrap around your stake. Then, cut the size pendant you prefer (or both!). Using a hot glue gun or something that adheres well to wood, glue the pendant to your stake, being sure to fold around the pendant at the pencil mark. You can erase this mark after your pendant is adhered.
Note: Because these pendants are paper, be careful with them around water. To avoid damage, take them out of the soil before watering or rain. You could even laminate it for extra protection.
SHARE YOUR GARDEN
Now that your garden stake is complete, it’s time to have some real fun.
1. Place your stake: Once your stake is ready, put it in your child’s favorite potted plant or in their favorite part of your garden
2. Take a photo: Your child can be holding the plant, sitting by the garden, or even not in the photo at all. Get creative and have fun with it!
3. Post to your social media account and use the hashtag: #wearethegardeners (Be sure your account is not set to private so we can see your photo.) Tell us your family’s gardening story in the caption.
Once we begin to gather photos of gardens from all over the country, we’ll be sharing them on our social media accounts. If you post a photo, keep an eye out—we’ll be sending three gardeners a garden pack from the Market, and three more gardeners will be getting copies of We Are the Gardeners sent to your whole class!
If you don’t have a chance to make your own garden stake, we have alternate idea for you!
- Take a photo of your garden or potted plant and upload it to your Instagram story
- Swipe up on the screen and select GIF
- In the search box type “we are the gardeners”
- Choose your favorite sticker and add it to your photo
- Post the photo on your story and don’t forget to use the hashtag (#wearethegardeners) so we see it!
Don’t forget to order your copy of We Are the Gardeners, so it will arrive just in time for the official book launch next week.