Dinner gathers us at day’s end, when stories are told, memories are formed, and traditions are made.
This dinner recipe from Magnolia Table, Volume TwoOpens in new tab is a new take on a classic lasagna recipe, featuring squash, zucchini and a blend of cheeses. We can’t wait for you to try this one—it might become a new favorite in your house!
White Vegetable Lasagna
Makes 12 servings
prep: 40 minutes
cook: 1 hour 25 minutes
15 lasagna noodles (most of a 16-ounce box)
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese (about 2 cups)
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon leaves for garnish
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
One 24-ounce tub small-curd cottage cheese
16 ounces whole-milk ricotta
3 large eggs
2 medium zucchini, sliced into ⅛-inch-thick ribbons with a vegetable peeler
2 medium yellow squash, sliced into ⅛-inch-thick ribbons with a vegetable peeler
18 deli slices mozzarella cheese
12 ounces shredded Italian five-cheese blend (about 3 cups)
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, mushrooms, and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms are tender and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a deep lasagna pan ( 9 x 13 x 3 inches) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the Parmesan, cream, chopped basil, garlic salt, kosher salt, pepper, cottage cheese, ricotta, and eggs. Mix well, then stir in the mushrooms.
- Spread ½ cup of the cheese/mushroom mixture to cover the bottom of the lasagna pan.
- Make the following layers: 5 noodles, 2 cups of the cheese/mushroom mixture, half of the zucchini and squash, 6 mozzarella slices, and 1 cup Italian cheese blend.
- Repeat step 6.
- Top with a final layer of 5 noodles, 2 cups of the cheese/mushroom mixture, 6 mozzarella slices, and 1 cup Italian cheese blend.
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil and bake until the top is browned, about 20 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with the basil and serve.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.