White Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
Dinner gathers us at day’s end, when stories are told, memories are formed, and traditions are made.
This dinner recipe from Magnolia Table, Volume TwoOpens in new tab is a new take on a classic lasagna recipe, featuring squash, zucchini and a blend of cheeses. We can’t wait for you to try this one—it might become a new favorite in your house!
White Vegetable Lasagna
Makes 12 servings
prep: 40 minutes
cook: 1 hour 25 minutes
15 lasagna noodles (most of a 16-ounce box)
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese (about 2 cups)
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon leaves for garnish
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
One 24-ounce tub small-curd cottage cheese
16 ounces whole-milk ricotta
3 large eggs
2 medium zucchini, sliced into ⅛-inch-thick ribbons with a vegetable peeler
2 medium yellow squash, sliced into ⅛-inch-thick ribbons with a vegetable peeler
18 deli slices mozzarella cheese
12 ounces shredded Italian five-cheese blend (about 3 cups)
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, mushrooms, and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms are tender and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a deep lasagna pan ( 9 x 13 x 3 inches) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the Parmesan, cream, chopped basil, garlic salt, kosher salt, pepper, cottage cheese, ricotta, and eggs. Mix well, then stir in the mushrooms.
- Spread ½ cup of the cheese/mushroom mixture to cover the bottom of the lasagna pan.
- Make the following layers: 5 noodles, 2 cups of the cheese/mushroom mixture, half of the zucchini and squash, 6 mozzarella slices, and 1 cup Italian cheese blend.
- Repeat step 6.
- Top with a final layer of 5 noodles, 2 cups of the cheese/mushroom mixture, 6 mozzarella slices, and 1 cup Italian cheese blend.
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil and bake until the top is browned, about 20 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with the basil and serve.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.