Total 40 mins, includes cooling time
Active 35 mins
Makes 4 to 5 servings
- Cinnamon-Sugar Powder
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil to 360 ̊F on a deep-fry thermometer.
- In a separate pot, boil the water with the salt, sugar, butter, vanilla, and cinnamon sticks. Once it boils, take out the cinnamon sticks and reduce the heat to medium.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth. Mix with a spatula until it pulls off the side of the pot and isn’t very sticky, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Put the mixture in a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe the batter into the hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels briefly. Combine the 1/4 cup sugar and ground cinnamon in a bowl and toss the churros in the cinnamon-sugar powder while still warm.