TIP: Sugar on side of ramekins to give the batter grip.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons grandulated sugar
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup cup plus 1 tablespoon bread flour or all-purpose flour
1 cup cold milk
6 large egg yolks
5 large egg whites
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. To prepare the ramekins: Brush the bottoms and sides of eight 5-ounce ramekins with the melted butter. Divide the granulated sugar among the ramekins and turn them to thoroughly coat the bottom and sides. Discard any extra sugar.
3. To makes the souffles: In a glass bowl or the top of a double boiler, combined the chopped chocolate and chocolate chips. Nest the bowl over a pot of barely simmering water (the bowl should not touch the water) and stir the chocolate until melted (taking care not to get any water in the bowl). Set the bowl aside off the heat.
4. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until the flour is incorporated and the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the milk. Continue whisking until the mixture becomes smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the melted chocolate and stir to combined. Slowly stir the egg yolks one at a time into the chocolate mixture. Set aside.
5. In a bowl, with an electric mixture fitted with the whisk, whip the egg whites until the whites start to get foamy., then sprinkle with sugar. Continue whipping the egg whites on medium speed until they form soft peaks and the consistency resembles whipped cream, about 3 minutes.
6. Use a spatula to fold about one-half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, carefully lifting form the bottom and folding over. Fold in remaining egg whites, taking care not to deflate the mixture.
7. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop two spoonfuls into each ramekin, leaving about an inch to the top of the ramekin.
8. Bake the souffles undisturbed until they have risen over the top of the rims, 12 to 15 minutes.
9. Pour the powdered sugar into a sifter or fine-mesh sieve and gently tap over each souffle immediately as it comes out of the oven.