Total 2 hours (includes chilling time)
Active 40 mins
Makes 8 fools
- Lemon Curd
- Strawberry Salsa
- Strawberry Fool
- To make the lemon curd: In a medium stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the yolks, lemon juice, and granulated sugar. Set a double boiler or medium saucepan filled with an inch of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Place the bowl over the pan and add the butter.
- Use a rubber spatula to stir the lemon curd constantly until it starts to thicken, about 10 minutes. It should coat the spatula and cling to it before you remove it from the heat. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill over an ice bath or in the freezer for 20 minutes and then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. It can be made a few days ahead and kept refrigerated.
- To make the strawberry salsa: In a medium mixing bowl, toss the diced strawberries with the brown sugar, mint, and lime zest. Reserve.
- To make the fool: In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer), whip the heavy cream with the confectioners’ sugar on medium speed to medium peaks. It is crucial that the cream is stiff enough to hold up to the salsa, but isn’t whipped too much and grainy. Reserve some of the whipped cream for the top of each fool. Fold half of the remaining whipped cream into the pureed strawberries, and the other half into 1 cup of the lemon curd (save any extra for another use).
- Layer the lemon curd-cream, strawberry-cream, and 1 cup of the strawberry salsa into individual glasses. Top each with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with mint.